Wraps can be a fun, healthy, clean way to mix up your lunch options. They are great to make at home and easy to pack up and take with your or even just hold in your hand as you're racing out the door for a meeting or a child pickup. Wraps are also great for volume control. While a salad may appear healthy, the second you load up a giant bowl and put a million add-ons in there, you could be eating way more calories than you really should. Wraps, on the other hand, keep portion control in check.
Keep in mind that if you are eating out or picking up something at a deli, I would forego the wrap and go for a regular sandwich on two slices of rye or whole wheat bread. Wraps found at these places are typically 200-300 calories for the tortilla alone. But when making food to eat at home or take with you on-the-go, I found amazing wraps in grocery stores. For all these recipes, you can use either the Maria & Ricardo's fiber rich wrap or Siete Family Foods gluten free coconut flour wrap or a lettuce wrap!
Here are T of my fun, clean, and easy wrap recipes:
- BLAT: 2 slices organic turkey, 1/4 avocado, 1T of Bolthouse Farms blue cheese dressing, lettuce, tomato and place in wrap
- Veggie Delight: 2T Kite Hill truffle, dill and chive spread, 1/4 avocado, lettuce, tomato and add to wrap!
- Tuna salad or tuna melt (your choice): Wild Planet Foods packet of tuna, 1T 365 Whole Foods mayo (it is more tangy than regular light Mayo so check taste first), any veggies such as celery and carrots to the tuna plus lettuce. For the tuna melt, add 1-2 T Horizon Organic cheddar cheese and heat it up!
- Turkey Fun: 4 slices roasted Applegate organic turkey, lettuce, tomato and either 1-2 T Le Grand Tzatziki or mustard of choice.
- Chicken Salad: You can poach your own chicken (love to do this in chicken bone broth) or for a quicker option, I use Valley Fresh canned chicken and 1T 365 light mayo (if you want a different flavor you can add 2 tsp of turmeric and 1 tsp garlic powder and some chopped cilantro or parsley). Add some lettuce and place in wrap.
- Chicken Parm: I used a 4 oz piece of left over chicken. We had breaded it with Aleia's Gluten Free Foods gluten free bread crumbs. I added a small amount of Cucina Antica marinara sauce and sprinkled on 1-2T of Horizon organic mozzarella. Place it all in wrap and heat it up. I used my Breville Smart oven for a couple minutes!
- Egg Salad: 2 whole hard boiled eggs and 2 whites plus 1T 365 light mayo and chopped celery. When you are in a rush you can also use Trader Joe's egg white salad. Add some lettuce and place in wrap!
- Chicken Caesar: 3 oz sliced grilled or poached chicken, lettuce, 1T fresh Parmesan cheese, 1T Bolthouse Farms Caesar salad dressing and add to wrap.
- Almond Butter & Banana or Jam: spread 1.5T Wild Friends Foods protein vanilla almond butter & either 1/2 banana or 1T Crofter's Organic jam on wrap of your choice.
- Breakfast Burrito: 4 egg whites scrambled with 1/4 chopped green pepper, 1 T Horizon Monterey Jack shredded cheese, 1 Applegate organic apple turkey link sliced up (optional toppings - 1 tsp of fresh Guacamole or 2 slices fresh avocado & 1 tsp fresh salsa) and add to wrap.